A few years ago, we asked our Facebook followers what advice they would give to a first time pet groomer. Since spring is in the air and school graduations are just around the corner, we thought it would be a good time to share some of the favorite bits of advice that we received.
Here's what our Facebook fans (and experienced pet groomers) would recommend to all those starting out on their grooming careers...
- "Have patience with every dog. They can sense it!"
- "Talk to the customer to make sure you are on the same page when it comes to the cut. Don’t give a timeframe that will get you stressed out. And stay calm—if you’re frazzled, the dog will act up and make your job harder"
- "Great customer service goes a long, long way. I believe a get a lot of my requests because of the time and attention I give my customers. It really does make a big difference."
- "Don’t let a naughty dog ruin your day. Stay calm, walk away for a short break if you have to, but don’t let them win. For every bad dog there are at least a hundred sweetie pies."
- "Communication with clients is CRUCIAL. Good customer service is synonymous with good communication. Secondly, know that every groomer has made mistakes. Be up front and honest about them."
- "Always treat dogs the way you’d want your own dogs to be treated."
- "Be open-minded, there are many different ways to groom. Learn from everyone you can and then decide what works for you."
- "Take time to chat with the client to build a good relationship. Be realistic with the client if what they want isn’t possible."
- "Make sure you don’t just put the dog straight into the kennel when you are finished. Put the dog on the floor and look at his face as well as his body when you think you are done. This is the view that owners usually see their pets from. When you are first starting out, you’ll be amazed at what you missed."
- "Don’t give up! I remember learning how to hand scissor on a shaky Airedale. So frustrating!"
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: PetEdge, Inc. is a leading supplier of wholesale grooming supplies and pet products for professional pet groomers, doggy daycares, breeders and other pet care professionals. Visit our website www.petedge.com, to shop over 17,000 pet products.