Recently we asked our Facebook followers what advice they would give to a first-time pet groomer. We received a great response. Thank you to all who commented. Here is what you shared with us as your favorite bits of advice. Anything you'd like to add to the list?
- "Have patience with every dog. They can sense it!"
- "Learn your breeds and their standard pet cuts."
- "Talk to the customer to make sure you are on the same page when it comes to the cut."
- "Don't rush. Expect the unexpected. It's better to estimate the time it would take and add 15 minutes."
- "Buy the best grooming tools you can afford and take care of them. They will provide your livelihood and be great for years to come."
- "Watch dog/cat grooming videos daily. Educate yourself and take pictures of each dog."
- "DO NOT give treats unless you ask the owner first. Some dogs have allergies or are on a specialized diet."
- "Listen to your grooming mentor. They are your mentor for a reason. Don't tell a customer you
can be a supergroomer. Always give them worst case scenario for a matted dog."
- "Always be in a positive state of mind when you're grooming. Nothing worse than an
angry groomer taking their bad day out on a dog!"
- "Be safe and don't forget to take care of yourself. Do what you can to help your body. Wear good shoes and use ergonomic equipment."
- "I treat the dog as if it were my own and how I would hope mine would be treated."
- "Be confident when you are with a client. Remember you are a professional."
- "Never stop learning."
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: PetEdge, Inc. is a leading supplier of wholesale grooming supplies and pet products for professional pet groomers, doggy daycares, breeders and other pet care professionals. Visit our website www.petedge.com, to shop over 20,000 pet products.