How do you really know what clients want? Or better yet, how do you know what you’re best clients find important. Ask them. A survey is one of the most underrated, yet powerful tools in a marketing toolkit.
What Does A Survey Accomplish?
- Improves Service By Offering Actionable Insights:Your clients are taking the guesswork out by telling you exactly what they do not like. It identifies your weaknesses so that you can implement the necessary improvements.
- Measures Customer Satisfaction: You are able to recognize and capitalize on what makes you special, as well as identify your client advocates. Advocates are those wonderful people that you can get testimonials from.
- Increases Customer Retention:You are validating your client’s importance to your business. Your business is telling them that their feelings are valued. Clients who feel important are more likely to stay and tell their friends how awesome you are.
- New Ideas for Products and Services: Be on the forefront of new marketing trends by offering what other facilities are not.
Sample 5 question survey:
“I keep my survey short and to the point. I prefer brief, easy answers as opposed to a number ranking. Number rankings do not give the entire story or offer the insight needed to effect real changes. However, written answers may not be filled out without some sort of hold (return of their pet) or small token (inexpensive gift or coupon).” -Mary
- What Do You Like Best About My Service?
By starting out with a positive, it begins on a constructive, rather than a destructive note. Repeated words and phrases can be used for other marketing materials such as websites, ads, and brochures. If it is important to current clients, it will attract future customers. It also identifies those clients that are open to a testimonial.
- What Do You Like Least About My Service?
This identifies where I can improve, particularly if several people mention the same thing. Most of the time it is very specific to the client. They didn’t like the shampoo scent or wanted the rear feathering removed or wondered if there are weekend appointments. All very easily remedied resulting in very happy clients.
- What Service Would You Like to See Offered?
This will identify upcoming marketing trends. Even if it is only a handful of people who request a new service, word gets around.
- What Products Would You Like to See Offered?
Retailing is very doable in a mobile unit. Check out the section detailing how to add retail.
- Any Thoughts on How I Can Improve?
This is rather open ended and a much harder question to answer. While not always filled out, it can offer incredible insight.
It is as easy to hand the survey to the client when I arrive. If the owner will not be home, email the survey along with their appointment and tell them you will pick it up when you arrive. 100% fill out rate is doable.
Surveys can help pinpoint strengths and weaknesses allowing you to make changes that correspond with the direction you want your business to grow in.
Mary is a business, wellness, and safety strategist who specializes in the pet industry. She has contributed to the professional pet industry as a consultant, speaker, writer, and progressive leader.
You can contact Mary by dropping a message or email her at Mary@PawsitivelyPretty.com